Of all of the social media platforms currently in use, Instagram is one that lends itself very well to growing and cultivating a following for a travel blog. While this is good to know, simply uploading your photos isn’t necessarily going to create an influx of followers. You need to find a way to spread your organic reach to as many people as possible.
The method I’m going to outline below will get you your first 1000 Instagram followers quickly. It’s not as quick as buying fake followers and it does take a bit of work but for the most part it is automated. How can this be? Let’s discover below.
The process breaks down into a series of simple steps, designed to place you in front of as many people as possible.
- Retrieve a list of several hundred people posting on a relevant hashtag. In this case it will be #travel.
- Follow these people and like their photos. Both of these must be done to create the sense of engagement.
- Wait 24 hours for people to reciprocate a follow.
- Unfollow anyone who did not follow you back.
As you might deduce from the method above, you will follow a lot of people and one concern you might have is that your follower/followee ratio might skew a bit to an undesirable level. I encourage you to consider these two insights:
- By unfollowing everyone who does not follow you back your ratio will never break 1:1 in the long term.
- By having a steadily growing following, people who are external to this process will feel more comfortable following you. This will increase your follower ratio!
By following the described method you will get your first 1000 Instagram followers and you will see that you will start to get followers that are not part of this process as well. It works well for providing a boost in followers and exposing you to a new set of individuals all posting relevant content.
You might have learned by now that it is not so easy to manually follow people by hashtag and then unfollow everyone who does not follow you back. Luckily there are a couple of tools that exist for just these purposes that I can recommend.
- Android: Followers Assistant – Highly recommended. The dev is constantlly updating and this is one of the best apps I’ve used. It can do both parts of the process, following then unfollowing non-followers.
- iOS: Captivate – This one is the best iOS version I’ve found as it lets you unfollow non-followers. It doesn’t, however, follow by hashtag and I’ve yet to find a good app that does this on iOS. So at the very least you can unfollow people you’ve followed manually.
What are you waiting for
I’ve given you the recipe for your first 1000 Instagram followers. You will follow a lot of people. You will gain more followers. The followers will be relevant. It’s not as organic as having a surprise hit because you were regrammed by an influencer but it’s much more likely to work for you then waiting for that.
I expect I’ll get some contrary opinions on this as well as those who employ a similar method. I’d love to hear about it!